Friday 10 September 2010

Epigraphs in The Handmaid's Tale

Chervaughn Archibald-William
Epigraph Analysis
Number 1


And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister; and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I die.
And Jacob’s anger was kindled against Rachel; and he said, Am I in God’s stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?

And she said, Behold my maid Bilhah, go in unto her; and she shall bear upon my knees, that I may also have children by her.

The epigraph means that even in the times of the Bible, women were pressured to give birth by themselves as well as by their husbands. They would go by any means possible to have a child in their family unit.
Thoughts given to me are that in the novel there would be some sort of need for child reproduction or it would be forced upon women to have children.


Number 2


But as to myself, having been wearied out for many years with offering vain, idle, visionary thoughts, and at length utterly despairing of success, I fortunately fell upon this proposal...

The epigraph means that a suggestion or idea would come upon someone when they been through turmoil on a certain circumstance. It also brings to mind that there would always be a light at the end of the tunnel.
Thoughts given to me are that in the novel there may be an escape attempt or the characters may have some kind of triumph at the end.


Number 3


In the desert there is no sign that says Thou shalt not eat stones.

The epigraph means that although one is not told what to do, and they want it, they should pursue whatever it is.
Thoughts given to me are that there may be a rebellious act in order to achieve something.


I think that all three epigraphs imply a happy ending.

1 comment:

  1. Well done. Some interesting comments which could stand a little development using the work we did in class this morning. You could edit this post OR make a new post.

    ReplyDelete